Monday, October 18, 2010

I Can Walk Without Pain.

When we were young, we walked, ran and jumped in school exercise classes, football, and baseball. Our legs would bend at midpoint at our every command. Everyone had knees and they always worked perfectly.

Then I got older. At first, there wasn’t much pain in my knees. It could be ignored with the hope that it would go away. Slowly and steadily the pains became worse.

Long walks were futile. The longer the walk, the more my knees hurt. So I walked less, gained more weight. The additional weight added to the burden my knees already had. This was a perplexing problem. The escape route was not obvious.

When I laid in bed trying to sleep, my knee pain appeared to get worse. Laying down, all I could focus fully on the pain. Sleep was difficult. Heat treatments were of no help.

As a professor of ancient history at the University of Nebraska, I gave lectures while standing on sore knees. Standing was better than moving. I put more emphasis on my words and less on body movement. How my body appeared to the students was secondary to how I felt. I consoled myself with the thought that the students were there to listen to what I had to say.

The surgeon concluded that my knee was ‘bone on bone’ after he carefully studied a black and white ghost image of what was my knee. I imagined what the pain would be if two bones were rubbed against each other within the flesh of my body. He continued to comfort me by explaining that I was not to worry about since he could saw off the two ends of the joint, drill out the bones, insert high tech, metal joints that would not rust, and inferred that it brand new knee without pain.

The surgery went well. It took quite awhile to get over it. There wasn’t much pain left in my bionic knee. I could function rather well. Overall, I decided that I really didn’t want to go through the surgery again should my left knee get that bad.

My worst fears came to pass. The left knee did get more painful. Again sleep was better in an easy chair.

I retired from the University. My wife Janet and I moved to sunny Arizona. I could imagine the dry warm weather being soothing to my aching knee. It felt better to not walk on ice and not but on heavy winter clothing to ward off the Nebraska winters. However, the left knee pain continued.

Searching for an alternative to surgery, I attended a lecture on Microdose Therapy developed by a professor at a University for his wife with arthritis. It made sense. Janet and I discussed entering the program. The statistics were impressive and the risk of side effects appeared minimal.
To my amazement using Microdose Therapy, I lost most of my knee pain in one week. The little that was left totally disappeared shortly thereafter. I could walk without pain and after completing a walk, the pain did not come back.

Then I began thinking the relief was temporary and feared that it would come back. That was in 2001. Now it is 2006 and it has not come back. I won. I avoided knee replacement surgery for my left knee.

I am no longer a 20-year-old who can run, walk and jump. However, I can walk without pain. I am grateful to the folks at Microdose Therapy for having this potent treatment. Janet is great advocate of Microdose Therapy. I am more reserved.

I no longer take my knees for granted. With my knees not hurting, I live life more normally.

Nels Forde, Ph.D., Professor of Ancient History, University of Nebraska

No comments: